Thursday, July 7, 2011

Book Review: Cut by Patricia McCormick


Cut by Patricia McCormick
Source:  Won
Format:  Paper back
Released:  February 1st 2002
Published by:  Push
Page Count is 160 pages
Buy It:  Bookdepository | Amazon
 
"A tingle arced across my scalp. The floor tipped up at me and my body spiraled away. Then I was on the ceiling looking down, waiting to see what would happen next." 

Callie cuts herself. Never too deep, never enough to die. But enough to feel the pain. Enough to feel the scream inside. Now she's at Sea Pines, a "residential treatment facility" filled with girls struggling with problems of their own. Callie doesn't want to have anything to do with them. She doesn't want to have anything to do with anyone. She won''t even speak. But Callie can only stay silent for so long... (Description from goodreads.com)

 

I was a little worried when I first received Cut in the mail.  I knew it would unnerve me to read about someone cutting, and it did.  Some of the scenes made me cringe, others made me have to put the book down for a moment.  It was to much for me to read how Callie would use her mother's cooking knife or a piece of an aluminum pie pan to seek release from what affected her so deeply.

Callie's story was cryptic and I think that is what I enjoyed the most about her story.  You didn't understand why she cut.  As the reader, we were learning things along with Callie while she went to group and therapy and Sea Pines, or "Sick Minds" as the guests call it, a "residential treatment facility".  We learned along with her why she thinks everything is "her fault" as she later on reveals to her therapist.  Even though there is definite progress with Callie, we still don't find the very root of why she cuts.  We only reveal more of the pieces to her puzzle, which is slowly coming together.

Because of the graphic nature of Callie's story, I couldn't finish this short read in one day.  I had to prepare myself each time before I would pick it up.  I'm glad I kept reading because the ending is left on a distinctive high for Callie, although vague, it was all that was needed to close her story.

I would recommend this book for older teens because of the graphic nature of Callie's story.

2 comments:

  1. Kelsa-

    I've read this book twice now and think it's a helpful introduction into the world and mind of a self-injurer. To feel so tortured that your only release from the emotional pain is physical pain is tragic. I don't know the statistics, but I know it's more common than you might think. Isn't it hard to say you like a book about such an uneasy topic? But I liked it too. And I loved your review. It was very insightful how you noticed that her story was revealed to us as it was revealed to her. Great review!

    Miss you,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,

    I see what you mean about why this is such a great story. It's not long, it's not complicated, but it's so incredibly real! :D

    Since you commented, does this mean you're finally back online!? I miss you, too! :(


    ~Kelsa P.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and enjoy reading them so don't be shy! You know you want to. ;) I do my best to respond to everyone's comments when I can. If your following me and I haven't returned the favor, let me know! Happy blogging!

~Kelsa

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...