Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Solid by Shelley Workinger

Solid by Shelley Workinger
Source:  Author
Format:  E-book
Released:  July 9th 2010
Published by:  CreateSpace
Page Count is 221 pages
Buy It:  Bookdepository | Amazon

Eighteen years ago, a rogue Army doctor secretly experimented with a chromosomal drug on unknowing pregnant women. When he was killed not long after the children were born, any knowledge and evidence seemed to die with him - except the living, breathing, human products of his work.

Almost two decades later, the newly self-proclaimed “open-book” military unearths the truth about the experiment, bringing Clio Kaid and the other affected teens to a state-of-the-art, isolated campus where they soon discover that C9x did indeed alter their chromosomes - its mutations presenting as super-human abilities. The military kids, who come from across the nation and all walks of life, come into their own as lighter-than-air ‘athletes’; ‘indies’ as solid as stone walls; teens who can make themselves invisible and others who can blind with their brilliance.

While exploring her own special ability, forging new friendships and embarking on first love, Clio also stumbles onto information indicating that the military may not have been entirely forthcoming with them and that all may not be as it seems… (Description from www.solidnovel.com)

Solid follows the day to day activities of Clio Kaid as she and her friends attempt to learn to control their recently discovered powers at a newly created military camp for those affected by the C9x experiment.  When I first heard about Solid I immediately liked the idea of the plot.  Very high military official takes his research and motives to far and intentionally, secretly drugs pregnant women resulting in mutation of the unborn children's DNA.  I had high hopes for Solid in the beginning, but as I kept reading it I found a lot lacking with the characters and reactions to their situations. 

After being sent away to a secluded camp run my the military and cut off from the outside world - reminds me of basic training all over again - I would feel a great deal of anxiety compared to the mild reaction of Clio's feelings.  I can understand how being settled in and having a routine can be relaxing in a new and strange place, but under the circumstances it just wasn't believable for me through Clio's perspective.  I felt the same way about the rest of the students' reactions to realizing they have powers, specifically Clio.  She wasn't shocked, concerned, happy, sad or...anything really when it was confirmed that she was "different".  Everyone instead just went with it but in a very subdued manner.

Where's the excitement in all of this?  I kept asking this question throughout the book.  It seemed like all of the would-be-excitement was held back to be used at the end for the "big reveal", which was way to easily done.  The whole scene felt rushed, unorganized, and bland.  None of it felt convincing for the climax.

All in all I thoroughly loved the idea of this book.  The plot had serious potential to me, but it did not feel like Solid stepped up to the plate for the role.


Solid was given to me by the author Shelley Workinger in exchange for an honest review.  This in no way affected or influenced my review for the novel.  If you would like to contact me about my rating or review please email me at amateurvoice.kp (at) hotmail (dot) com.

3 comments:

  1. Kelsa-

    As always a great review and very honest. Too bad because the premise is good. But sounds like the characters need some work.

    On to the next book!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad it didn't quite work. This sounds like classic sci fi. It's always disappointing when a book has potential but doesn't reach the level it should.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buried In Books,
    Thank you Heather! I was so upset that it didn't deliver like I was hoping. :(

    Alison,
    Disappointing is too right. But like Heather said "On to the next book!" :D

    Kelsa P.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and enjoy reading them so don't be shy! You know you want to. ;) I do my best to respond to everyone's comments when I can. If your following me and I haven't returned the favor, let me know! Happy blogging!

~Kelsa

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...