Saturday, May 7, 2011

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (The Mortal Instruments #2)


City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Source:  Purchased
Released:  March 25th 2008
Published by:  McElderry
Page Count is 453 pages
Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal.  but what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries?  Clary would love to spend more time with her best friend, Simon.  But the Shadowhunters won't let her go - especially her handsome, infuriating newfound brother, Jace.  And Clary's only chance to her her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insance, certainly evil - and also her father.  when the second of the Mortal Instruments is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor suspects Jace.  Could Jace really be willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father? (Description from back of book).

*Warning:  This review contains many spoilers*

As far as series goes, The Mortal Instruments has quickly risen to the top as one of my favorites.  The second installment picks up smoothly and kept me turning page after page.  I easily got lost in Clary and Jace's forbidden romance.  The moments they shared were emotional and passionate!  I keep wanting them to get together regardless of the recently learned secret that the two were brother and sister

I already know what my sister's sarcastic retort will be:  "Incest is best relatively speaking," and in this series only this would be completely except-able for me.  Jace and Clary are perfect together.  They challenge each other and respect one another and at every turn their relationship, however wrong it is viewed, is incredibly strong.

As the plot progresses, Clary discovers that she and Jace are both special.  Clary learns how to use her talent for "the gift of words that cannot be spoken" and Jace realizes how to use "the Angels own gift" that he possesses.  Not only that, but now Simon is a Vampire! 

The magic and intrigue of the story is fantastic!  I can't wait to see what will happen in the third book, City of Glass.


This novel counts towards the following challenges:
Parajunkee's Shifter Challenge
Parajunkee's Vampire Challenge

5 comments:

  1. Great review! I have heard a lot of conversations about this series among book readers and I have never yet heard any negative feedback.

    And thanks for the welcome back :D

    Brush Up On Your Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know lots of people who love this series... I have yet to read them but they are high in my TBR! Great review and thanx for following my blog :) I followed yah back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nina B.,
    Thanks Nina! I'm glad to see your back in action! :D

    Lulu,
    Thank you so much! I'm surprised how quickly I've fallen for this series, but how could I not with Jace being cocy, sarcastic, and sexy along with rippling pectorals? Oh my... *swoon*

    Kelsa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kelsa, I didn't read the review all the way just because of the spoilers but thanks for the great review anyway haha. Love what you've done with the blog and thanks for putting me on your blog roll :)

    xo,
    lah @ lazygirl reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lazy, You've been on my blog roll silly! I just finally found a way I liked it set up LOL!

    The first book is City of Bones the review is the review before this one. Its a really good series to get into if you haven't already! :)

    kelsa

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and enjoy reading them so don't be shy! You know you want to. ;) I do my best to respond to everyone's comments when I can. If your following me and I haven't returned the favor, let me know! Happy blogging!

~Kelsa

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...