Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Fallen by Lauren Kate


Source:  Purchased
Released:  September 28th 2010
Published by:  Random House Children's Books
Page Count is 452 pages
Buy It:  Bookdepository | Amazon

There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.
Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price's attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He's the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.


Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce—and goes out of his way to make that very clear—she can't let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.
Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, Fallen is a page turning thriller and the ultimate love story. (Description from goodread.com)


The first thing that made me fall in love with Fallen was the beautiful art cover.  The image of the girl weeping into her half gloved hands is saddening and the dark colors make the book alluring.  For those of you who judge a book by its cover, which I will admit wholeheartedly too - I am guilty of that with this book, should approach Fallen with no expectations of good or bad.  Otherwise, you will be left sad and annoyed at the crushing realization that this book was just another pretty face.

When I saw this book around the blogger sphere a month ago, I read a variety of different reviews both positive and negative.  So when I jumped into reading Fallen I did so with an open mind and low expectations.  I'm glad I did because this book was enjoyable as a whole, but it still left something to be desired for me.  It was creative by taking a different approach to young author books and moving away from vampires and werewolves and focusing on Angels for a change, which I found refreshing, but the entire content seemed backwards to me.  For the longest time I couldn't put my finger on what exactly was bothering me about this book beside the obvious little annoyances.  The writing was smooth when talking about Daniel - especially his angelic features, but it seemed strained when the author was trying to balance Luce's day to day activities at her new reform school and her stalking obsessive behavior over Daniel Grigori.  Then when I finished the book I under stood why.

In the very beginning of the book the opening is in Daniel's point of view.  In the short eight pages that he takes the lead you can feel his emotional turmoil and love for Luce.  It sucked me in and I found it engaging.
"He glanced across the room, out the window to the veranda, where the day before she'd crept up on him, a fistful of wild white peonies in her hand.  She still thought the pull she felt toward him was innocent, that their frequent rendezvous in the gazebo were merely...happy coincidences.  To be so naive!  He would never tell her otherwise - the secret was his to bear" (Fallen 3).
Impressed by this opening I moved on to the first chapter and immediately it dulled in comparison.  Luce's descriptions were typical and sullen, which does fit the motif of the book, but this seemed to be constant and over for me.  The epilogue was also in Daniel's point of view and again, it was engaging and full of mystery as to what will happen in the second installment of the series.  I'm more then likely going to get the sequel Torment because I'm genuinely curious how the story will pan out for Daniel and Luce's relationship, but I think Fallen would have been much more better for me if the entire story was told from Daniel's point of view.



~Kelsa

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! I really enjoyed this book and I have no idea why. Torment isn't as good but you get to meet new characters. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. ComaCalm,
    Damn. I was hoping Torment would elaborate on everything left unanswered, not introduce new characters. :(

    ~Kelsa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelsa-

    I think Torment is even better than Fallen and Passion is coming out soon. Luce grows a backbone in Torment and actually stands up to Daniel and you get a little more of the story. It's definitely better.

    Great Review!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodie! I was hoping the second would clear some of the story up for me. Fallen left so many questions unanswered for me. :)

    ~Kelsa

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and enjoy reading them so don't be shy! You know you want to. ;) I do my best to respond to everyone's comments when I can. If your following me and I haven't returned the favor, let me know! Happy blogging!

~Kelsa

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...