Saturday, April 30, 2011

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (The Mortal Instruments #1)


Source:  Purchased
Released:  February 19th 2008
Published by:  McElderry
Page Count is 485 pages
Buy It:  Bookdepository | Amazon



When Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder.  Much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with odd markings.  This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons - and keeping the odd werewolves and vampires in line.  It's also her first meeting with gorgeous, golden-haired Jace.  Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jac'es world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon.  but why would demons be interested in an ordinary mundane like Clary?  And how did she suddenly get the Sight?  The Shadowhunters would like to know.... (Description from back of book).

City of Bones was a fun read with a shocking twist!  I will not mention the details about said twist because its a major spoiler for those of you who are like me and put off a popular read for a long while.  I will say this:  It was very unexpected.  Definitely a more original spin to a story by an author from preventing a couple from getting together then I have yet to come across. 

When I first started reading, Jace's rambling mouth did not make the story feel like a casual reveal of the plot but more like an information dump, which I hated the most about City of Bones.  Thankfully, as the story progressed the dialogue was much smoother and more enjoyable for me to read.

Clary's character was nothing new in the way of a typical female heroine.  Calm, smart, and a since of duty.  At first I didn't like her but as the story moved along I found myself likening her more as her personality began to show.  The same thing happened for me when I was reading about Jace.  He was nothing but an arrogant prick for the majority of the first half of the book and I disliked him right off, but then I noticed the subtle changes in his character.  He was being opening flirtatious with Clary and began being aware of her, not just in a physical sense but on an emotional level, too.  Both Clary and Jace didn't just fall head over heels in love at first sight with each other, which I liked.  Instead they grew from annoyed and hostile to flirting and friends.

The magic world that was portrayed in City of Bones was not foreign to me.  The vampires, werewolves, warlocks, and fairies were so colorful!  It was fun to read about all of these creatures in an urban setting in downtown New York City, but the romantic and sarcastic moments between Clary and Jace was the best to read about.  The verbal banter and wit was greatly entertaining and I found myself adoring Clary's best friend Simon for his dry sense of humor.  It was so thick you could cut it with a knife at times!  I'm looking forward to reading the second book now.


This novel counts towards the following challenges:


~Kelsa

2 comments:

  1. I'm really glad you enjoyed this as I plan to read this soon! Thanks for the review! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. ComaCalm,

    Thanks! I wonder if the spoiler will make you wanna cry at the sadness of it all, like I did when I read it? I can't wait to hear your take on it. :)

    ~Kelsa

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and enjoy reading them so don't be shy! You know you want to. ;) I do my best to respond to everyone's comments when I can. If your following me and I haven't returned the favor, let me know! Happy blogging!

~Kelsa

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...