Sunday, March 6, 2011

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer


Nightshade by Andrea Cremer
Source:  Purchased
Released: October 19th 2010
Published by:  Philomel
Page Count is 452
Buy it:  bookdepository

Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything— including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice? Description from goodreads


Amazing writing, engaging characters, and a fantastic plot!  Nightshade's tantalizing world of magic and werewolves had me hooked from the very beginning.  From the very first page I was pulled into the exciting world of Nightshade as I read about the struggles of Calla, the alpha female of the newly formed Haldis pack.  Her character is strong, commanding, and fiercely loyal to her family and pack.  Even as she awaits the day of her arranged marriage to the Bane's young alpha, Ren Laroche, Calla is determined to see it through and carry on the traditions of the Keepers.  Her role as a faithful Guardian is the only life Calla has known and all she ever expected out of life, until the day she unexpectedly saves a human, Shay, from the killing claws of a grizzly.  Now she is pulled in two directions between loyalty to her pack and loyalty to her heart.

Ren is headstrong, charismatic, and a born leader.  He tries to go against his normal nature of controlling Calla as his pack mate and treat her as his equal, but at the same time he tires to dominate her.  This goes against every one of Calla's instincts as an alpha.  At first Ren is carefree and self assured in his place in Calla's life, but as the story progresses his jealous nature of Calla and Shay's friendship reveals his insecurities and faltering confidence.  

Shey is intelligent, resourceful, and caring.   He feels nothing but admiration towards Calla because she risk everything to save his life.  Shay hates the strict laws of the Keepers' that Calla is bound too.  To understand more about her world he recruits Calla's help to dig deep into the history of the Keepers' and the role of the Guardians'.  Doing so reveals not only dark secrets that shock Calla to her very core, but they also come to find that Shay is more connected to Calla's world then they ever thought possible.

As Calla's trust grows in Shey, sparks between the two ignite setting fire to everything in sight!  Every time Calla gets to close to Shay they are both overwhelmed with need and desire for one another.  Ren's teasing nature and wondering hands also make Calla weak in the knees, but she doesn't trust herself with him like she does with Shay, who holds a deep place in her heart.

You can never bring yourself to dislike Ren in the novel for his character.  Instead you sympathize with him because he tries hard to be what Calla wants him to be.  You also feel sorry for him because of Calla's feelings for Shay, in a way she is cheating on him.  Dwelling on the thought of being Ren's mate brings nothing but anxiety for Calla.  Thoughts of being with Shay make her feel cared for and free.  Watching Calla face temptation at every turn is hard because she is stuck between a rock and a hard place.  The choice between the life that makes sense with Ren filled with strict rules and resslessness, or the life she could have with Shay full of possibilities and freedom are both terrifying and both equally as tempting to follow.



This novel counts towards the following challenges:

8 comments:

  1. Nice review. You make me see the benefits of both guys. I haven't read the book yet and already I feel torn, though there's something about the way you describe Ren that makes me really like him. I definitely need to read this one. The reviews I've read often remind me of the book Blood and Chocolate. Have you read that book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read Blood and Chocolate. I have a review on it in my Review index if you want to check in out. ;)

    Ren is awesome. I found myself torn as well. He tries so hard but coming up short to Shay, only slightly. He would definitely make a girl happy because he puts his heart into what he does. You'll love his character even more once you read the very end when everything is out on the table. I swear this is got the be one of the only times I have not NOT liked someone in a "love triangle" and wanted to root for both guys.

    ~Kelsa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this one too Kelsa! I know a lot of people didn't care much for Shay, but I actually liked both him and Ren. I think after thinking about it more, I'm definitely leaning more toward Ren, but I can't wait to see how things are going to play out in Wolfsbane! Loved how nice and thorough your review was:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jenny! I know what you mean. I really do like Ren more then Shay personally, but I don't dislike Shay either. Its just nice to have a guy with some flaws who tries. Its appealing to me I guess. That's why I love his character so much. :)

    ~Kelsa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this book yet, it's not really my kind of story, but reading this review alone is helping to convince me to give it a try! Really awesome!

    Oh and by the way:

    "Amateur Voice said...

    I still love your interview with ARGH. It was too funny. Lol.

    ~Kelsa
    March 7, 2011 12:34 AM "

    -looks like someone has trouble moving on! :D

    Brush Up On Your Reading

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Nina! I'm glad you like the sound of it. Its a great story for fantasy nuts, like me. :)

    Oh come on now, it was funny! I can't help it if I still get a good laugh from it. LOL

    ~Kelsa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel exactly the same about Ren. By the end, I was in love with him and was upset with Calla for picking Shay. :(

    Can't wait for the next book. So glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That just means that us fan girls can shamelessly fantasize about him when we cuddle our pillows at night. ;)

    ~Kelsa

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and enjoy reading them so don't be shy! You know you want to. ;) I do my best to respond to everyone's comments when I can. If your following me and I haven't returned the favor, let me know! Happy blogging!

~Kelsa

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...