Friday, March 18, 2011

The Goddess Test by Aimée Cater


Source:  Publisher via NetGalley
Released:  April 19th 2011

Published:  Harlequin Teen

Page Count is 297
Buy It:  bookdepository

Every girl who has taken the test has died.

Now it's Kate's turn.


It's always been just Kate and her mom--and now her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.

If she fails...
  (Description from goodreads).

The Goddess Test was an unexpectedly great book that tugged at my heart strings in many ways.  The emotional connection between Kate and her mother, Diana, was strong, tender, and frail all at the same time.  Diana is Kate's best friend and the only person who understands her.  The emotional turmoil that Kate goes though, worrying about how much longer her mother has to live, being forced to say goodbye and expecting it any day, facing the thought of being alone with no one to love her,  is heartbreaking.  Some scenes were incredibly overwhelming.  I found myself crying unexpectedly throughout reading this ARC.

Kate is an interesting character.  While her mother is sick with cancer Kate dedicates all of her time and efforts to caring for her dying mother.  Instead of feeling confined to her role as soul caregiver Kate takes her job very seriously, valuing the time she spends with her mother, knowing that any day she can lose the one person she cares for more then anything else in the world.  When she meets Henry and is offered the chance to save her mother for a time, how could she refuse his simple request to stay with him for the Spring and Summer every year for eternity and become his wife?

Henry's character is fickle with his constant roller coaster of emotions, but at the same time this trait makes him very real as a character.  In The Goddess Test we learn the real story surrounding Persephone in Greek Mythology and how it affected Henry so deeply.  What we learn as the reader is that only one side of the story was told, Persephone's, while Henry's was never revealed.  Instead of a confident God that we expect would rule the Underworld, Henry is heartbroken from the wound left by Persephone that has never healed.

The slow building relationship of trust between Kate and Henry was well paced and believable.  I loved reading the progression of their friendship and how they learned to understand one another.  The romance was not heavy like it is often found in other books.  Instead it was light and slow and seemed to pass over their relationship in the blink of an eye, which I found to be a nice change of pace to read about.




The Goddess Test was given to me through NetGally courteously of the publisher.  This in no way affected or influenced my review for the novel in any way.  If you would like to contact me about my rating or review please email me at amateurvoice.kp @ hotmail (dot) com.


~Kelsa

7 comments:

  1. hey,
    read your interview @ awesome sauce book.
    Funny^^ I´m not happy with the ending of breaking dawn too.

    would be happy, if you have time and check my blog ^^

    http://tenshi-91.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsa-

    Great review! I haven't seen as thorough a review as this anywhere else on the blogosphere. You really make me want to read this one! I can't wait for it to come out.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kelsa! Very cool review. I have seen a lot of good reviews for this one and am interested in reading it myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Tenshi: Thanks for dropping by! I'm glad you caught liked my interview. It was so much fun to do with apples. :)

    @ Buried in Books: Yes! That's what I was going for since no one I've seen had a thorough one. :) You'll like it a lot. It got to me because it reminded me about my own mom.

    @ Lazy Girl: Well then, your definitely going to like the next author interview coming up, since it shines more light of The Goddess Test. ;)

    ~Kelsa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Kelsa! I never expected to see a different side of Henry. That alone has captured my interest. I didn't even realize the part he played in this story from some of the other reviews I've read. And the deep relationship between Kate and her mom sounds like it would pull at your heart.

    I'm really looking forward to reading this one. Thanks for the amazing review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Missie: Thank you Missie! :D

    Yeah I know! I didn't expect that with Henry either because no one mentioned it, at all. This book is great though. One of those relationships you just enjoy reading about and don't get frustrated with. Kate and her mom got to me so badly. It reminded me of my mom and our relationship back when we were really close.


    ~Kelsa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't downloaded it yet, but I do have this one in my queue at NetGalley; I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and enjoy reading them so don't be shy! You know you want to. ;) I do my best to respond to everyone's comments when I can. If your following me and I haven't returned the favor, let me know! Happy blogging!

~Kelsa

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...