Friday, March 11, 2011

Female Army Medic Earns Silver Star For Bravery in Afghanistan

Spc. Monica Lin Brown

Female medic earns Silver Star in Afghan war:
19-year-old only second woman to receive valor award since WWII.

For me this article is touching a tender spot on my heart. This girl is incredible. She was nineteen (this happened back in April 15, 2007), in the same MOS as me (Military Occupation Specialty), and was serving in her first tour for the war.

I'm incredibly jealous and proud of this girl. Before I was accepted into Southern Louisiana University for this semester, I was planning on volunteering for deployment. I wanted to get out and do something with my military training. Even though I'm in the Army National Guard, went through all the training, and settled into my unit, I feel like I'm only playing solider sometimes. Shoes Never Worn has brought this up on her blog before. "A soldier with no Deployment isn’t really part of the post 9/11 Army Club."

She's right, too. Until you do get deployed you don’t feel like you're part of the real Army experience when you’re around others who have stories of the good, the bad, the bloody.  I know from experience.

I can't help but feel like I'm missing out.  There's plenty of volunteer slots available coming up this year, but there's no way I could manage it now that I'm back and settled into home life again.


~Kelsa

4 comments:

  1. Kelsa-

    Just the fact that you enlisted and went through basic training seems really brave to me. The fact that you can be called up any time is scary to me. Don't sell yourself short. You're amazing!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you too Heather! Thanks for that. Its nice to be appreciated. :)

    ~Kelsa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog via the book blogs ning, and wanted to stop and say hi :) I'm a new follower now and look forward to getting to know you.

    I know personally, I am thankful for everyone who serves, regardless if they are deployed, volunteer or whatever their rank. It all matters.

    April @ my shelf confessions

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kind words. :) Its nice to hear encouraging words from people who care about soldiers. I look forward to getting to know you as well! :D :follows you back:


    ~Kelsa

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and enjoy reading them so don't be shy! You know you want to. ;) I do my best to respond to everyone's comments when I can. If your following me and I haven't returned the favor, let me know! Happy blogging!

~Kelsa

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...