Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Falling Under by Gwen Hayes

Source:  Purchased
Released:  March 1st 2011
Published by:  New American Library
Page Count is 336
But it:  bookdepository

Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams.

As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear.

And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul.
Description from goodreads.

I've heard raving reviews from all corners of the blogger sphere and I have to say that Falling Under lived up to all of the hype.  At first the story was a little slow, but it quickly grasped my attention with the fast moving romance between Theia and Haden.  When you first meet Theia you can't help but like her.  She's quite, shy, and unsure of herself throughout the first half of the novel.  As the story progresses she becomes more sure of herself and begins to take some control of her life.

When she meets Haden everything about him scares her.  His very presence emanates something dark, dangerous, but Theia can't help but find that she is drawn to him.  She has no experience with boys, being sheltered for most of her life makes socializing with boys difficult.  She doesn't know how to act when Haden begins clouding her every thought with sinful girlish fantasies and blushing become pure habit in his presence.

Haden's character is strange, but one you can't help but want to like.  He's a romantic, selfish, and obsessed with Theia.  Even when his motives are unclear at first, you know he will never hurt her physically.  Mentally he just continued to blindside Theia by being flirtatious and attentive one moment and then turn around to give her the cold shoulder, while simultaneously flirt with other girls in front of her.

As you read about the intimate scenes between Haden and Theia, you can see their relationship grow on a more solid emotional level even as the passion between the two continued to build with every kiss and touch the two shared.  I rather enjoyed how Theia kept her head and wits about Haden from the very beginning.  Even though he went to her school during the day and haunted her dreams at night, she still managed to not become overtly crazy over him.  She loved him and learned to without being completely blinded by what he really was.  She knew the danger was very real about him, but she understood that he was not out to hurt her.

Another thing I rather liked about this novel was the descriptive nature of the dream like world of Under.  The faceless men, the ghoul servants, and the skeleton orchestra made the story different and wonderfully creepy to read through Theia's eyes and thoughts.  I loved how the story ended as well.  It was a total cliffhanger indicating that a second installment would follow, but even without knowing what would happen after Haden executed his plan to rescue Theia I was happy that the two love birds found each other again.

A great read indeed.  I encourage you all to give it a try.  This definitely made my inner romantic swoon with envy.



~Kelsa

8 comments:

  1. Kelsa,

    I have to admit, I've read mostly negative reviews for this one that have turned me off to the story. So it is rather interesting to read your thoughts on it. Though I'm not a fan of cliff hangers, I'm happy you enjoyed it. Thanks for providing a review different from those I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can tell you really enjoyed this book, and that makes me even more excited to read it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    Diana
    ps. cute blog you have going on here :) i shall follow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Misse: Thanks Missie! I'm glad my review gave you a positive look at the novel. :)

    @The Lovely Getaway: Thank you so much Diana! :follows you back: I'm loving the layout of your blog, too. :)

    ~Kelsa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Reads, Reviews, Recommends has given you the One Lovely Blogger Award! Click here: http://kateevangelistarandr.blogspot.com/2011/03/one-lovely-blog-award-part-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for entering the giveaway! I appreciate it. I can't wait for your interview.

    And I am also going to check out this book. You make it sound like something I would like, and the cover is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Kate Evangelista - Thank you so much! This is the third time I've gotten this award LOL.

    @ Applesause - No problem! The books look really worth it. :)

    The cover is what suckered me in when I read a positive review on it, too LOL! Oh! By the way, what do you think of your nick name? Hope you don't mind! :)

    ~Kelsa

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one is definitely on my wishlist, and isn't the cover awesome?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie,

    Yes it is! I hope you enjoy reading it. Its awesome!

    ~Kelsa

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and enjoy reading them so don't be shy! You know you want to. ;) I do my best to respond to everyone's comments when I can. If your following me and I haven't returned the favor, let me know! Happy blogging!

~Kelsa

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...