Monday, February 7, 2011

I realized something today

As defined by Dictionary.com an epiphany "is a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience."

I had the fortunate pleasure of having one of these rare occurrences today.  My realization hit me while brushing my teeth this morning.  After receiving tremendously helpful advise from the people at writingforums.org about the foreword I submitted to the site, I mulled over some of the things that were said in the reviewers critiques.

As it was pointed out to me the repetition was abundant and the passage was way to wordy.  These things I agreed with completely.  I changed the foreword around so much, that I just made it way to complicated.  I also had some very positive comments regarding the tension, imagery, and my first person present tense of the narrative, which I admit made me very proud.

Now, while brushing the plaque off of my teeth I took all of these things into consideration.  I know the rest of what I have so far in my novel is just as wordy and repetitious in some parts, but how was I to go about and fix it, too?  The way I was writing the foreword reminded me of introductions in papers I've done in the past for school, which was more analytical then creative in style.  I stopped brushing my teeth and thought about that for a moment.  Wow.  It really was that simple.

When that piece of the puzzle fit in my head it all just made so much more sense!  I've been going about approaching this novel as a paper, which is where my writing is its strongest.  I haven't tried to move away from that style of writing for this project.  Two years in the making and only now I'm realizing this.  Better late then never I suppose.

~Kelsa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and enjoy reading them so don't be shy! You know you want to. ;) I do my best to respond to everyone's comments when I can. If your following me and I haven't returned the favor, let me know! Happy blogging!

~Kelsa

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...