Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

Today's review is focused on The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks.

Source:  Borrowed
Released:  September 1st 2009
Published by:  Grand Central Publishing
Page Count:  405
Buy it:  Amazon

"Seventeen year old Veronica "Ronnie" Miller's life was turned upside-down when her parents divorced and her father moved from New York City to Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina.  Three years later, she remains angry and alienated from her parents, especially her father...until her mother decides it would be in everyone's best interest if she spent the summer in Wilmington with him. Ronnie's father, a former concert pianist and teacher, is living a quiet life in the beach town, immersed in creating a work of art that will become the centerpiece of a local church.   The tale that unfolds is an unforgettable story of love on many levels--first love, love between parents and children -- that demonstrates, as only a Nicholas Sparks novel can, the many ways that love can break our hearts...and heal them." Description from Amazon.com.

This book did not satisfy my craving for an epic read, but it was able to pass time in my barracks for two days when I was in training during the summer.  It wasn’t as great as I was expecting in all of the reviews and recommendations from friends, but it wasn’t bad compared other books I've read.  It just wasn't that interesting.

The plot had real potential throughout, but the style and the way that the story was told made me not enjoy it as much as I could have.  There was too much focus on Marcus’s view point in the beginning.  Once he gets his ass kicked by Will - in an uneventful fight scene - he's not in any more scenes, remains on the outskirts of the story, even though there was a whole plot surrounding his character.  It made the story slow down and drag out considerably.

I expected Will and Ronnie to fall in love slowly and have a lot more detailed interaction while trying to get to know one another, but there wasn’t much romance or heartfelt moments between them like I was hoping for or expecting.  This surprised me a great deal.  Her trust issues with her father in the beginning to me would have affected her more when she became closer to Will.  It wasn't a bad read, but it definitely wasn't a good one either.



~Kelsa

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, I thought this one looked good, but ohwell. :)
    Great review!
    Perhaps if you have time, perhpas you could check out my blog??
    Thanks!
    http://lovelylilbookworm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I'd be happy check out your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and enjoy reading them so don't be shy! You know you want to. ;) I do my best to respond to everyone's comments when I can. If your following me and I haven't returned the favor, let me know! Happy blogging!

~Kelsa

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...