Wednesday, February 16, 2011

How To Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell

Been at the Hospital since two thirty today.  Nothing terrible happened, thankfully.  I was terribly bored out of my skull the entire time, but it did at least give me a chance to finish reading my book.  So here is a review for How To Train Your Dragon:  Book 1 by Cressida Cowell.


Source:  Purchased
Released:  February 15th 2000
Published by:  Brown Young Readers
Page Count:  214
Buy it:  Amazon

Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III is a truly extraordinary Viking hero known throughout Vikingdom as "the Dragon Whisperer" ... but it wasn't always so. Travel back to the days when the mighty warrior was just a boy, the quiet and thoughtful son of the Chief of the Hairy Hooligans. Can Hiccup capture a dragon and train it without being torn limb from limb? Join the adventure as the small boy finds a better way to train his dragon and becomes a hero!  Description from goodreads.com

 
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.  Cressida Cowell’s viking character’s made me smile and laugh the entire time.  Hiccup’s story of growing up as a young viking was colorful and full of hazards.  Enduring bullying from Snotlout, being scorned by villagers, and putting up with an ungrateful dragon were just some of the challenges facing Hiccup.  It didn’t help that he was the smallest, like his dragon Toothless, and the most un-viking like of everyone on his home island of Berek.  

What I loved most about Hiccup's character is what he lacked in brawn he made up for with brains.  His unconventional and intelligent ways more then made up for what he lacked in volume and intimidation.  I rather liked how Toothless was stubborn an not willing to follow Hiccup, because it showed his personality and his prideful nature.  

The only thing that did not work for me with this book was the fact that there was an effective means of communication between Hiccup and Toothless.  I would have much rather read about the struggle to understand each other more than anything else.  The cute approach of Toothless being equally small to his viking master was adorable to me.  Hiccup and Toothless make a dynamic duo and prove that big things really do come in small packages.








~Kelsa

5 comments:

  1. I panicked when I saw your first sentence... until I realized that, as a nurse, you probably hang out in hospitals a lot. LOL.

    I've been meaning to read this series for ages, but I just haven't gotten to it yet. Snotlout is a ridiculous name! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How to Train Your Dragon is really awesome. It's funny but it still teaches a good lesson to kids - actually to anyone who reads it. I also watched the movie version, did you? But I still think the book is better. Thanks for sharing your review, it's really great :D

    And thanks also for dropping by my blog and reading my review for Speak. I'm glad you liked what I did. I always try to do different formats for my review just to stir things up, and also to keep me interested in doing reviews :D

    And before I forget, I'd like to give you the One Lovely Blog Award. Check out that link for instructions.

    Have a great weekend and happy blogging!

    Brush Up On Your Reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, I forgot to give you the link! It's http://buoyreading.blogspot.com/2011/02/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    Brush Up On Your Reading

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Madigan McGillicuddy: I'm actually not a nurse yet, but I am a medic in the National Guard. I was actually at the hospital the other night because I had to rush my mom there (on her freaking birthday, too). She doing much better today, thankfully. It just sucked being there from 2:30 in the afternoon until midnight! I ended up not getting to bed until two and I had classes the next day.

    Deffinately give this book a try. It's really cute and fun to read. Your inner child will thank you if you do. :)

    @ Nina B: *le gasp!* Thank you so much! You just made my day ridiculously more better then it already was. It must be something in the air tonight. :)

    I have seen the movie - actually, I bought it right after seeing it too, which I love much more because of toothless being just the most awesome/cutest/most bad-ass character who never speaks, but he has so much more personality! That's why toothless bothered me slightly in the book version, but the book is great still.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear your mother is doing better! What a not fun way to spend her birthday:(

    This book sounds adorable, I love that the dragon's name is Toothless, that just makes me smile. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a fun, quick read and this seems like it would be perfect, I'm making a note of it:) Nice review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and enjoy reading them so don't be shy! You know you want to. ;) I do my best to respond to everyone's comments when I can. If your following me and I haven't returned the favor, let me know! Happy blogging!

~Kelsa

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...