Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Source:  Gift
Released:  May 6th 2008
Published by:  Little, Brown and Company
Page Count:  619
Buy it:  Amazon

 
"Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.

Featuring one of the most unusual love triangles in literature, THE HOST is a riveting and unforgettable novel about the persistence of love and the essence of what it means to be human." Description from goodreads.com.

The Host has a new twist on a very old concept.  Aliens who invade planet Earth by carefully implanting themselves in the minds and bodies of humans.  The story is about Wanderer, later called Wanda, an invading "soul" who takes over Malanie's body to discover the location of "wild" humans in hiding, but Malanie's still alive inside her mind, overloads Wanda with images and feelings of the man she loves, Jared.  Now in love with Jared herself, Wanda becomes reluctant allies with Malanie to find and protect the man they both love.

A lot of people I know, friends included complained about how The Host was nothing like Twilight and that this was one of Stephine Meyer’s worst books so far in her writing career.  Um, I'm sorry, but isn’t that the point of writing a new book not part of a previous series? So that it is different and explores new creative ideas?  I could be wrong, but I'm very sure that I'm not.

I personally found the book to be epic in scope - which is a fancy way of joking that the book was really damn long, but I really enjoyed this novel from beginning to end.  The characters emotions were greatly described and the heartbreak with all the romantic turmoil left me balling my eyes out.  When the ending made me think one thing was going to happened, but then it turned in a whole new direction - the surprise of it all was better than I expected.  This is actually probably better than Twilight for me because of the strong females roles of Wanda and Malanie who both struggle to coexist together to protect the people they both care about.



~Kelsa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and enjoy reading them so don't be shy! You know you want to. ;) I do my best to respond to everyone's comments when I can. If your following me and I haven't returned the favor, let me know! Happy blogging!

~Kelsa

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...